Review & Swatches: The Estee Edit Metallishadow Creme + Powder in Scarlet Eclipse


The Estee Edit Metallishadow Creme + Powder in Scarlet Eclipse includes a burgundy cream eyeshadow base and a loose rose gold (but more like golden tan) pigment. The cap also includes a small, but still usable, mirror. I actually got this because the cream base + pigment duo I wanted from Dose of Colors was out of stock. The Estee Edit is a new line from Estee Lauder and is geared more towards the younger generation. There is 0.07 ounces of product and it retails exclusively at Sephora for $25.




The burgundy base is unlike any other cream base I've tried, but not in a good way. It's more on the tacky side and it's not smooth/creamy. You really need to take your take time apply this cream or else it'll look patchy. I recommend using a flat synthetic brush with it because that's how I get the most even color. Other tools may sheer it out too much as well.


Above is just the cream base on my lids. There was also some pigment residue on my brush, but it is a flat color with the slightest sheen just because of the formula. 


The Estee Edit / Sephora describes the pigment as rose gold, but it's definitely more on the tan instead of gold side. My preferred way to use this pigment is with a setting spray / mist spritz onto a small flat brush. Using it dry leaves a lot of fall out on my face and so I do like using a spray or very tacky base to apply it. Unfortunately, the cream base isn't tacky enough to keep it on the eyes. 


I applied the pigment wet and focused it on the center of the lids.

I did the above look a week ago and that's when I decided I actually liked this product. Honestly, I was ready to return it because I hated how the cream base worked because I was used to creamier shadows that could do one product eye looks. 


On my eyes, the red base is very overwhelming and so I do need to tone it down using a dark matte brown eyeshadow. I was never planning on using the pigment + cream base without extra products and so it wasn't a huge deal to me. 

This is kind of a fail on me as a beauty blogger, but I could not use this product without a primer or setting spray and so there wasn't a normal wear test. I didn't see any creasing or fading, but I can't say that's because of the products themselves. I did not like how they looked without the extra help and so I didn't want to risk it.

On to the brighter side? I do love how both products worked with my existing eyeshadow collection. I love warm / red / pinky based eyeshadows like the Lorac Unzipped Palette or Tarte Tartelette in Bloom Palette and so the cream shadow from Scarlet Eclipse made those tones pop even more. The pigment is also so pretty when used wet.

Final thoughts: I would not purchase this product if you were planning on using it as a singular product (as in not with other eyeshadows / products). If you're a reddy eyeshadow lover like me, I recommend swatching in stores. There's contradictions throughout this review because I do like how it looks, but I'm just so meh about it as a product because there are better pigments and cream bases out there. I'm still going to use it and adore it, but I would look at other brands first.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment