All The Shades of Purple // New Hair Color!


I've been wanting to dye my hair a non-neutral color and since Vidal Sassoon came out with some purple and blue permanent shades, I thought it was a great time to dye it! I used mostly drugstore stuff, but I had to order developer and toner on Amazon. With the amount of money I used, I feel like I should've just bought a bulk amount of bleach and developer on Amazon too for future touch ups. 


I used a Platinum Blonde hair dye from Garnier Fructis and that's why the bottom portion of my hair is lighter than the rest. I misread something and I thought I could lighten my hair by doing this, which is sort of correct but definitely not what I was going for.  


These are the products I used to lighten my hair. I used two boxes of Clairol's Born Blonde Maxi, one 8 fl. oz. bottom of 20 volume developer, and two boxes of Wella Colar Charm Toner in T18. I still have some of the developer and half a bottle of the toner left. The toner turns purple to counteract the brassy / yellow tones after lightening the hair. 


This was taken after lightening it once. I deep conditioned my hair using Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist Deep Conditioner and even left it in for hours during my "relax days" to really help my hair. It didn't feel damaged, but I knew that there would be after doing so much to my hair. 

I basically lightened a giant triangle at the back of my head. By having it on the bottom and the back, I could put off doing my roots because it'll be covered with the rest of my hair. 





These four pictures were taken after lightening it again and toning it twice. I toned it once right after lightening it on damp hair and it did take away most of the brassiness. I kept on deep conditioning it for about a week and then after using John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Tone-Correcting Conditioner twice, it became super brassy again. It bothered me so much that I toned it again. 

I originally wanted to dye the blonde parts a lilac / lavender color, but it wasn't white enough. By now, my hair was feeling really damaged and dry and so I didn't want to lighten it again. 

Vidal Sassoon Pro Series in 3VR Deep Violet (Picture taken from their website)




To create the different tones of purple, I used half of the Vidal Sassoon dye and mixed them together in a bowl. I applied the color in vertical layers down my head with the darkest parts near the brown / non lightened hair to the nape of my neck. I first applied the color about half an inch closest to the non-lightened part of my hair and also half an inch above that (on the brown hair). I mixed in enough conditioner to reach a little bit more the original volume to create a lighter purple and applied that to the next layer. I kept on repeating until I reached the bottom layer. I kept the dye on for about 1.5 to 2 hours. 

Some parts of the lowest layer look lavender, but some also still has a tinge of yellow/blonde. I should've either added less conditioner or left the dye in longer so that the color would've saturated my hair more. 

My hair didn't turn out the way I intended it to be, but I really do love it. I've been putting my hair up in different variations of braided buns to show off the color. Surprisingly, my hair doesn't feel as dry as before I dyed it purple. I still use a deep conditioner almost every day and avoid using heat.

It's been about a week and half since I've dyed it purple there's definitely been some fading even though the color is permanent. It's to be expected since I didn't use the dye like how it was supposed to be used. The darker parts still look fine though. Since I still have half the dye left, I plan to touch up in about 2-3 weeks after the color has faded more.

I will also be posting a blog post in the next couple weeks about how I like to style my hair now that there's some color in it too. 

Have any questions? Feel free to leave a comment down below!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment