Review & Swatches: L'oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation in W3


The L'oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation is L'oreals answer to the trending "cushion" foundation that is currently very popular in Asia. The shade I got is W3, but it's a touch light for my face right now but there wasn't a 3.5 in the warm range. If you're not familiar with the True Match line, the foundations is split into three ranges - Warm, Neutral, and Cool. Cushion foundations are basically made up of a sponge soaked with thinner liquid foundations housed in a compact that's easy to apply with the rubycell puff. The combination gives a more airbrushed and natural look. This particular cushion foundation contains 0.51 ounces / 14.6 grams of product and retails for around $16.00.



The packaging is pretty similar to cushion foundations found in Asia, but the Asian ones include removable cartridges (?) so that you can refill the same compact. It makes it cheaper as well since you only need to buy the compact once. Like the original versions, the L'oreal cushions also have a plastic divider so that you can keep the puff and sponge separated. 


Another huge difference is the actual sponge. The one on the left is from L'oreal and the one on the right is from Memebox. They don't have a cushion foundation themselves, but they do have a DIY one so that you can fill it with your own foundation of choice. You can see that the Memebox sponge is more dense and even holds more foundation. The L'oreal one kind of reminds me of a more dense kitchen sponge.


Oh yeah. I got a tattoo. Surprise!

To help with color matching, here are some of the foundations I have matched to before (besides the MUFE deluxe sample size)

L to R - 
L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte Foundation in 105 Natural Beige
L'oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation in W3
Makeup Forever Ultra HD Foundation Stick in 127 = Y335
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in #54 Beige
Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in #10
Makeup Forever Ultra HD Foundation in Y375


& onto the actual foundation!

My bare face is on the left and that was after removing my makeup at the end of the day. I have been breaking out a lot more and the winter + stress of work has made my bare skin look more tired.

To me, I feel like the foundation really brightens up my complexion and not just because it's slightly lighter than my skin tone. True to its name, it does add a luminous glow to my face and evens out my complexion. 


It mostly covers up my discoloration, but it only provides light to medium coverage. It says that it's buildable, but I feel like it doesn't look that great after 1.5 layers. I did have another set of pictures showing my full face with another layer on, but you can see the tiredness in my face so well and it was starting to look cakey. If I had worn it more than 2 hours like that, it would have definitely have gotten worse.

I also slightly change my foundation routine when using this cushion foundation. Instead of using concealer afterwards, I use it before on my more troubled spots and undereye area. I then just pat on the foundation using the puff and that also helps blend in the color better. 


B | A around 12 hours

Honestly, I'm really impressed with how well it wore throughout the day. My glasses left a a mark on my nose, but that's what happens with every foundation I have. I'm more shiny and it did break down more on my cheeks but the overall coverage it gave me from the initial application stayed pretty much the same. 

A quick warning - the top layer of foundation when the plastic cover is first removed is pretty thick. You might overapply the first time, but I didn't have any problems after that. 

I've only had this foundation for about 2 weeks and so far, the amount of foundation left still looks good. However, I have heard a lot of people say that it seemed to run out on them after 1 month ish. People have given tips to flip the sponge upside down for more product that's moved to the bottom though. There's also rumors that the foundation formulation is exactly the same as the liquid True Match Lumi foundation and so that's always an alternative if you run out and you want to refill the sponge or just switch to using a regular liquid foundation!

Final thoughts: I'm really impressed with this foundation and I love how convenient the cushion packaging makes it. I'm also going to talk about the price real quick - it's pretty expensive for a drugstore foundation and it's only half the size of a regular bottle of liquid foundation. A lot of Korean brands offer refills, but L'oreal doesn't even offer that. If you've seen the Laniege cushion at Target, it's about $30, but there's also a refill and so it ends up being around the same price as the L'oreal cushion. Anyway, if I take away the price, this is a really lovely formulation and the application is a breeze. I feel like my skin looks great (with some concealer on my dark acne marks) and it's quicker to do my foundation with this cushion foundation in the mornings. Would I repurchase? Not right now. I really want to try more Asian cushions first to see what the standard should be, but only Misha, Laneige, and Innisfree have my color match.

Have you tried cushion foundations? Do you prefer using brush or sponge instead?

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment