Review & Swatches: Dose of Colors Matte Liquid Lipstick in Mood


One of my very very good friends aka my biffle got me the Dose of Colors Matte Liquid Lipstick in Mood for my birthday. Ever since its launch, I've been drawn drawn to the dark red but purple shade and kept constantly looking at the website and Dose of Colors Instagram profile. The liquid matte lipsticks retail for $18 and contains 0.16 ounces / 4.5 grams of product. As far as I'm aware, Dose of Colors is only available on their website.


The packaging is pretty much the same as the Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipsticks, but the the tube is frosted glass/plastic. The applicator is also a curved doe foot that is a bit too fuzzy to me. You can still make precise lines, but you have to be more careful compared to applicators like the Kat Von D Ever Lasting Liquid Lipsticks or the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks. 


Like I mentioned, the color is dark and there's some red and purple mixed into it, but it's mostly purple. If you wanted a color comparison, I had the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Ricco for a couple of days until I returned it since it was so similar... The Stila liquid lipstick is a couple of dollars more, but it's also more readily available.

The formula is also similar to the Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipsticks in that they're thin, pigmented, and long lasting. Seriously, if you're a fan of the Jeffree Star lipsticks, you'll also love the Dose of Colors ones. 


If you follow my recently created Instagram dedicated just for this blog / beauty found here, you've already seen the above picture! I was testing a lot of products that day, but decided on Mood for the lipstick I was going to wear for the day. 

I did find that Mood felt drying the longer I wore it but it was no more drying than other liquid lipsticks popular on the market right now. There was minimal transferring, but it did transfer a lot more after I ate some pasta and salad with some oily dressing. I also did not find that this lipstick accentuated any dry patches. I was wiping my lips all day from doing swatches, but I thought my lips still looked good with Mood on after all of that.

I can't layer on this product more than 1 or 2 layers though or else it looks and feels pretty thick. It also becomes more prone to transferring and flaking off weirdly. 1 thin layer spread out is just enough for me and it gives me the perfect stained but more pigmented look. 

The wear time is great if you avoid super oily foods though! I barely saw any fading after 8 full hours and there wasn't any feathering. With the fading I did see, it did go away gracefully without any patchiness. 

There is a very very faint vanilla smell when you apply the product, but that's only when I try really hard to smell it. 

Final thoughts: I am so happy with this color and product. I was looking for a wearable dark purpley shade and this is perfect. The formula is comfortable to wear (but slightly drying if you have sensitive lips) and there's minimal fading and transferring. Dose of Colors really has a solid formula and I can't believe I haven't tried their stuff before. The only con for me is the applicator because I feel like it's a bit too fuzzy, but that's just a personal preference and can easily be fixed by using a lip brush or lining my lips beforehand. 

Have you tried Dose of Colors before? How do you feel about the liquid lipstick trend?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment