Review & Swatches: Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Légèreté et Expérience


Chanel released a new palette on Black Friday and it's a beautiful matte quad reminiscent of my favorite Chanel Palette - Candeur et Expérience. I even wrote a review of it about a year ago here! Personally, I feel like Légèreté et Expérience is the lighter sister of Candeur et Expérience but it's mostly because there are two light base shades instead of an almost even gradient of three browns and a red. The Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Légèreté et Expérience is a limited edition palette that retails for $61 and as of today (12/8/2018), is only available on the Chanel website here.

As a reference, I fit most warm/yellow light-medium foundations and my closer matches are Hourglass Vanish Stick Foundation in Nude, NARS Sheer Glow in Punjab, Pony Effect Everlasting Cushion Foundation in 25, and Maybelline Dream Cushion Fresh Face Liquid Foundation in 30 Warm Nude.

On my skin tone, the Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Légèreté et Expérience makes the perfect subtle eye look but in a good and bad way. The two light shades on the top row are pretty much base shades to set my primer or eye shadow base. The pinkier shade on the top left can be used as a fun crease shade as well, but it's very subtle and can lean a bit ashy on me. The top right shade is a more "standard" matte highlight or cream base shade for my skin tone and it works really well to clean up my brow bone.



In the above eye look - 
The cream shade is on my brow bone
The pinky peach shade is in the crease
The red shade is on the inner half of the lid
The brown shade is on the outer half of the lid and smoked out on the lower lash line

Besides that, I also used the Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade in Dark Brown, Maybelline the Falsies Push Up Angel Waterproof Mascara in Very Black, and Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in (Brown)ie and Blacquer.

All of the shades are on the sheer but buildable side compared to most Western brands and don't seem to get fully opaque. They remind me of KBeauty eyeshadows though in that they're very smooth and almost a creamy powder. Surprisingly, the included applicators worked really well to pack on the color. I was testing how much I could build up the color and it never looked cakey or too powdery. It also didn't emphasize any fine lines around my eyes, but I did find some creasing when I didn't use an eye primer. I do have hooded lids and am super prone to creasing without primer though. 

A surprising thing I saw was fading. I haven't seen that with Candeur et Expérience and I can't tell if it's because I've been using a lighter hand. This palette is also lighter in tone and sheerer than other palettes I own and I'm wondering if that's affecting the longevity. I may also have to play with different bases and/or primers but I feel like with the $61 price tag, I shouldn't have to work this hard to avoid fading. 


As mentioned earlier in this post, Légèreté et Expérience is very similar to Candeur et Expérience. Above, you'll see the two palettes next to each other and they're pretty similar. Below, you'll see the some comparison swatches of two shades from each palette. 


The respective left swatch is from Légèreté et Expérience and the respective right swatch is from Candeur et Expérience. The reds are pretty much exact and I swatched the top left brown from Candeur et Expérience next to the brown (bottom right shade) from Légèreté et Expérience. The shade from Légèreté et Expérience is slightly more neutral / cool toned but they're not that different. If you have both palettes like me, you probably won't need Légèreté et Expérience.

Final thoughts: I feel like I have to break this down in different view points. First of all, I've said it before but Luxury products aren't often "worth it" for the price. After a certain point, the price increase is only because of the name. If I ignore the price, it's a decent creamy powder palette that would be very wearable and easy to use for those with fair to light-medium skin tones. This palette barely shows up on me and so I can't imagine it working well for those with darker skin tones. I just mentioned it, but I also have another Chanel palette that's almost exactly the same. I think because of that, I'm a little disappointed in Légèreté et Expérience because it doesn't last as long. I think if I had to do it over and choose between the two, I'm slightly leaning towards Légèreté et Expérience because there's slightly more variation. Candeur et Expérience is beautiful, but two of the browns look the same on me and I like that there's a matte brow bone shade for me in Légèreté et Expérience. Considering that I wasn't 100% wow-ed, I wouldn't recommend this palette unless you really love the color story and Chanel. The color story is easily dupeable and I would even recommend looking into Korean eyeshadows for dupes since a lot of mattes I've tried from brands like Etude House, Innisfree, and Missha have the same sheer buildable creamy powder formula. 

Have you tried Chanel eyeshadows? What's your favorite brand for eyeshadows?

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment