Review & Swatches: Makeup Revolution Reloaded Palette in Division


I was originally so excited for the Makeup Revolution Reloaded Palette in Division because people were talking about how it's similar in shades to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette. With this palette being only $7, I decided to take the risk. Division contains 15 shades for a total of 0.58 ounces and can be purchased through the links below - 

As a side note, I've also seen this palette referenced as the Iconic Division Palette too.




I swatched L to R from the top row down with my fingers. In my eye swatches, I also based the numbering off of these swatches from L to R.

I'm surprised that there were so many mattes, but most of them looked the same on my eyes. For example, two of the tealish shades (in the middle and bottom row) looked exactly the same even though the undertones and depth were different. I was impressed with some of the darker shades, but the midtone and and lighter shades were hard to build up. I would blend/pack on the shades and they would either become muddy or blend away. I've found that the best way to apply the mattes is with a more dense pencil or shader brush. A fluffy brush can help blend, but it won't help pick up that much color. 

The shimmers were also weird. They were thin and I didn't get that much pigment with my fingers or brushes. Usually I would recommend using your fingers for applying shimmers, but neither brushes or fingers really helped with the application of the shadows. They also hard panned with just the looks I created for this post. 

While the shades do feel pressed pretty well, there was some fall out and kick up in the pan. It was mostly with the mattes though as the shimmers felt like they were pressed harder, and therefore also had less pigmentation. 


4 on the lid. 6 in the outer half of the crease. 9 in the inner corner. 10 on the lower lashline. 14 on the inner half of the crease.


3 on the lids. 12 in the crease and lower lashline. 15 as the wing. 


5 in the inner upper crease. 7 in the inner half of the crease and lid. 6 on the lower lashline and smoked in the outer half of the upper lashline. 3 on the outer half of the crease and lid. 1 in the inner corner.

At first I thought that the purples and teals / greens weren't that great because most shadows in those shades aren't great, but I don't know. They felt more disappointing in this palette compared to other palettes or singles I've tried. My favorite shade is the darker teal (#6) and that's also the only shadow I liked from this palette. Instead of being a 15-pan palette, I feel like this could've been made into a decent quad. The $7 price tag could also be kept the same as it's still a really reasonable price. Unfortunately, the whole appeal of this palette was the color scheme and the quality just fell flat for me.

Final Thoughts: I'm not impressed at all with this palette. There are some shades that I do enjoy and with this pricing, those few shades make this palette worth it, but I'm probably going to declutter this. There's low pigmentation and takes a lot more work than it should to use this palette. I have some other teal singles from Colourpop that I enjoy more that are easier to use and I also have a mustard shade that I adore from Melt Cosmetics. The overall color palette is unique, but I personally don't think this palette is worth it and would much rather recommend singles of the more unique shades that catch your eye. 

As a side note, I originally wrote this post probably in July or August of this year and I've since then purchased the Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette. In comparison, Subculture is so much more powdery and loosely pressed than Division. It's a weird trade off of loose pressed shadows being more pigmented in the Subculture Palette, but you have to be careful since it starts off being kind of opaque (and sometimes patchy for some shades) instead of being buildable. Also, just like how the teal / green shades from the Division Palette looked the same on me, so did the teal / green shades from the Subculture Palette. Division is supposedly a dupe for the Subculture Palette but I wouldn't recommend it. Sure, you're saving money but it's not a good palette. It'll be better to buy singles of the shades you like in formulas you like instead of buying this "dupe."

Also as an alternative thought - This could be a palette to test out the story palette with. Like if you're interested in creating a dupe palette but are unsure if these colors work for you, you could get this palette first to see if these muted / "grungey" shades are up your alley. 

Have you tried this palette? How do you feel about dupes?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment