2016 Favorites: Eyes + Brows


I was pretty boring and possibly unsurprising with my 2016 Eyes + Brows picks, but that's almost to be expected since I loved these items so much that I ended up mentioning them all the time! Instead of bigger eye shadow palettes, I favored singles (powder + creams) and smaller palettes more. I just felt like those were easier to use in the mornings when I didn't want to think too hard. 

All of these were my favorite discoveries from 2016 in terms of eyes and brows, but oh wow! These eyeshadows are amazing! Honestly, I wasn't really expecting a lot from the Tarte Tarteist Metallic Shadows until I saw swatches of them on Temptalia's website. I started off with Scandal, which is a bright metallic copper shade, and it just started snowballing into "I WANT TO COLLECT THEM ALL LIKE POKEMON." Since then, I've purchased Dame, Speakeasy, and Scarlet. They're all consistently great as well and I really want Tarte to focus on these shadows instead of releasing new palettes every couple of seconds. All four shades I've tried are pigmented, shimmery without any fall out, and long lasting. 




I went pretty fancy last year with palettes, as evidenced above. I'm a pretty bad stress shopper and the above two palettes were part of those splurges. 

The Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Eyeshadow Palette in Candeur et Experience (review here) is one of the most expensive palettes I've ever purchased and it also doesn't help that it's just a small quad as well. Honestly, I don't regret it at all and could even see myself repurchasing it. I was on the edge of not buying it until I saw a Nordstrom Sales Associate apply it on someone. The finger swatches are kind of terrible, but it's absolutely gorgeous on the eyes. I sometimes want it to include a slightly shimmery palette, but it is a stunner even just by itself.

The Viseart Theory Palette in Minx (review here)was also another palette I loved so much last year. It's half shimmer/metallic and half mattes. These are definitely way more pigmented than the Chanel palette and I can see myself never finishing this palette. I don't really use the matte beige shade that much since it's so pigmented that it looks stark on my light-medium skin tone. Besides that, this is pretty much my almost perfect palette. The darkest two shades are more purple than I would like, but that's a personal preference. The formula for each of these shades are amazing and I'm beyond impressed. I totally understand the hype behind Viseart because of this palette!


Can you tell that I like the Etude House Play 101 Blending Pencils? They also look pretty grubby due to how much I use all of them. I have a review of 11, 12, and 13 here, but I've also purchased 1, 9, 25, 26, 27, and 28. They've become one of my favorite stick cream product and they have so many finishes as well so that they could be used all over the face. I haven't done it yet, but I hear that #9 makes a great face contour shade as well as an eyeshadow shade. My favorite finish is the jewel finish, but the cream and glitter finishes are also great. Regardless of finish, they're all creamy and pigmented but can still be blended out to be more sheer and buildable to your desired pigmentation. 


We're almost near the end! 

The NARS Eyeshadow in Persia was something I've been wanting for 1-2 years and I finally got it last year. It was everything I wanted it to be and I was actually really impressed with the formula. I've heard that NARS eye products could be a bit iffy, but this was so smooth, pigmented, and blendable even for a matte shade. If you've been looking for a matte burnt slightly red orange shade, this is it! The Blackbird Cosmetics eye shadow in Fire Pledge is also very close and also just as amazing (a favorite from 2015), but this indie shop is unfortunately closing down.

Even though the Etude House Play 101 Blending Pencils have taken my heart, I also really enjoyed the Burberry Eye Colour Contour Smoke & Sculpt Pen in Pale Copper (review here) during 2016. It's lasts a bit longer than the Etude House pencils, but the price is definitely higher. It's also pigmented and blendable. I keep it front and center at my vanity because it's so easy to use and a perfect every day shade. Even though it's a copper shade, it's not so warm that I can't wear it when I'm wearing cool toned clothes as well.

Last, my favorite brow products were the Glossier Boy Brow in Brown and the Pony Effect Sharping Eye Definer in Deep Brown. I keep backups of both all the time because I never want to be without these products. The Boy Brow is a perfect brow pomade product in that it gives my brows a decent amount of color with some hold, but doesn't like shiny like how some gels look. The Pony Effect brow pencil is such a close dupe to the Anastasia Brow Wiz and Deep Brown is my perfect shade. I can get very defined or soft brows with this pencil as well and I can't praise it enough. 

& that's it!

Finally done with my 2016 favorites and I hope I was able to properly convey why I loved all of these products. 

Did you try any of these favorites? What were your eyes and brows favorites during 2016?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment