Review & Swatches: NYX Stay Matte Not Flat Powder Foundation in #2 Nude and #5 Soft Beige


When Ulta had their 40% off Nyx (and other brands) sale, I picked up their Stay Matte but Not Flat Powder Foundation. I originally got it in color #5 Soft Beige (Light-medium skin tone with beige undertones), but it was a bit dark and a tiny bit too warm for me. I went back and instead of returning it, I picked up a second shade in #2 Nude (Light skin with golden undertones). I was super impressed with the product that I kept the darker color to contour my face and even warm up my greyer contour shades. The product contains 0.26 oz / 7.5 grams and the price is around $10 depending on where you buy it from.

It was hard to choose my color even though there were testers. I usually fit the light to light-medium shades and there were only 6 testers at the Ulta location I was in. #5 looked like it fit me in stores and the shade lighter looked pinker and super light. I decided to get #2 after swatching all of them on my arm and face because it was the most yellow. 

#2 / #5
I usually return products that I don't color match to, but I loved how the powder foundation looked on my skin. It melted onto my skin and didn't look like powder. It reminds me of how liquid foundation would look like. Even though this product is a powder foundation that is supposed to be matte, it has a satin finish that mimics the skin's natural glow. It's the most normal powder product that I've ever used. I had Tarte's Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation and NYX's Stay Matte Not Flat Powder Foundation has the same finish and texture. I returned the Tarte foundation because it didn't match and now I'm so glad that I found a cheaper comparable product.


#2 applied on the left / Bare faced on the right
I apply this product with Real Technique's Buffing Brush. I swirl the brush into the powder and then push it into my skin. I also buff it in a lot bit to make it look more even. The coverage is light to medium and buildable. I have a lot of acne marks and it doesn't cover those, but that's understandable. I like to wear alone when I'm doing chores and errands, but it also works very well with liquid foundations. It really bumps up the coverage of my liquid foundation without look cakey or unnatural. 

NYX Stay Matte Not Flat Powder Foundation #2 on top of Makeup Forever's HD Foundation in #127
The only downside is the lasting power. Alone, it doesn't last as long as my Makeup Forever HD Foundation or my Missha M Perfect BB Cream. The coverage on the side of my face fades faster than the rest of my face and it gets shiny on my nose. Touch ups are really easy though since it's in a compact. It does prolong the lasting power of my liquid foundations, though. 

The packaging is a bit clunky because it includes a vented compartment for a sponge underneath the powder product. There's also a decent size mirror on the lid. The clasp is more secure on #2 than #5, but I think that's just a manufacturing error. It's not such a downside for me because I keep these at home.


Final Thoughts: Phew! That was a lengthy review. As you can see, I do love this product and am planning on repurchasing more in #2. There's pretty decent coverage when using alone and you can never apply too much. It melts into your skin and looks so natural. I wouldn't recommend this to oily people though because even though I'm not oily, I saw shine on my t-zone within a few hours. This has been my go to powder and I haven't even been using powder a lot ever since I got Mally's Evercolor Poreless Face Defender. 
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment