Review & Swatches: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Sunset Pink


Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Pink Sunset is described as a "golden, rosy pink glow" and I would say that that's very accurate! There's 5 stripes of color - 1 off white shade with a pink shift, 2 pinky shades, and 2 golden bronze shades. They can be used mixed together or separately on the eyes and face. Pink Sunset contains 0.4 ounces of product and retails for $46.



The stripes are pretty small but most of my eye brushes do fit each section. A large fluffy brush also works really well when you want to mix all of the colors. I use an ELF Small Tapered Brush to apply this and that works as well.

Personally, I would've liked the colors to be arranged differently. I would have paired up the pink shades and then the bronze shades at the bottom going from lightest to darkest. That would've allowed me to be more bronzey or pinky depending on the day and just focusing on the middle when I want a darker pinky bronze. 

Even so, the arrangement isn't a deal breaker! Just a personal preference.


The swatches are from top to bottom and the last shade on the right is all of the shades mixed together. 

I swatched the shades using my finger and so I did get a bit of the next shade over in the palette. 

L: Before with just foundation and brows
R: With the highlighter on my cheekbones and into my hairline
My preferred way in wearing this product is with the ELF Small Tapered Brush. I would lightly go across all of the shades once and then apply it on my cheekbones. When I'm wearing this just by itself, I like to focus on everything except the lightest off white shade so that there's more color. The white shade does help softens the effect for normal days though. 


I would only use it sparingly because it is very pigmented and quickly becomes metallic looking like in the above pictures. I never put on this much but I knew I had to for these pictures since my camera doesn't always pick up highlight shades. My pores became more emphasized, but only if I absolutely go crazy with it.

This highlight is one of the most shimmery products I have - which sounds like a "duh" statement since it is a highlighter, but I did want to point it out. This product is definitely not for those who love a subtle "lit from within" kind of glow. I would say it's not as smooth as Becca highlighters to give the same kind of sheen, but the results does remind of me theBalm's highlighters. 

The powder is slightly hard, but some of the powder does kick up a bit depending on what brush you use. For this kind of shimmery (and super beautiful) product, I like this texture. The Becca and theBalm highlighters are great, but I have to be more careful since they're soft and can be too powdery.

The powder stays on my skin so nicely and I never see random shimmers on the rest of my face. I do use an eyeshadow primer when I use this product on my eyes and it stays on as long as my other eye specific powder products. 

When I feel lazy, I would use this palette on my cheeks for a highlighting blush and one or two shades on my eyes for an easy look. 

Final thoughts: As a person that loves an intense highlight, I really love this product. If you like subtle highlighters, it can be used lightly but I don't think it would be as worth it. For the price, I really appreciated that there were multiple stripes so that I could use it on my eyes along with my cheeks. Even though I like Becca highlighters, I'm more hesitant on buying them since it's a huge pan of only one color. I don't know if I would buy more Shimmer Bricks since the other colors don't appeal to me as much, but I'm very happy with the one I have right now.

Have you tried Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks? Do you prefer a strong or subtle highlight?

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment