Review & Swatches: Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen in #001 Blackest Black


Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black claims to stay on for 16 hours and be easier to apply "than traditional liquid liquid liners." It has a felt tip applicator and Revlon recommends storing the liner horizontally. There is 0.056 oz / 1.6 g of product and the price varies depending on the retailer. 


My favorite liquid eyeliner in pen style is Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner (review here) and so I will be using that to compare the Revlon liner to. In the above picture, the Stila liner is on top. Revlon's applicator is thicker and more stiff, which can be a pro or con. There was a short learning curve for me and I believe this liner would work better for those who are new to the pen style of liquid liner. The stiffness allows for straighter lines and precise application. I prefer a more flexible liner so that it can curve and flow around my eye better though. Unlike the Stila liner, the Revlon liner has stayed stiff even months after using it.


I did the above swatches with one swipe each. The Stila liner is more pigmented than the Revlon liner, but the Revlon liner can be built up to create that same darkness. 



In the above eye swatch, you can see how thin the liner can be applied. I find the best way to do this is to just lay the applicator horizontally and just touch the lash line. 


In the above eye swatch, I winged out the liner and it was so easy to do. I also just laid the liner horizontally from the end of the wing and connected it to the pre-drawn line. 

Even though Revlon claimed that this liner could stay on for 16 hours, I did see smudging / smearing not only in the inner corner, but the outer corner too. I did try to give this "test portion" more wiggle room because my eyes are slightly watery and I tend to touch the inner corner a lot, but it was more noticeable than any other liner (liquid or other formulations) I've tried. 

Final Thoughts: This liner is good for beginners, but the lasting power is very disappointing. I don't hate this, but I much prefer other liquid liners over this one. My sister has very oily lids and said that the L'oreal Infallible Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner lasts all day for her and even though I haven't tried that one personally, I'd rather recommend that one. Revlon has some great products, but this liner just isn't one of them. 

Below are some additional packaging pictures. 



Have you tried this liner? What liquid pen style eyeliner is your favorite?
Share

2 comments:

  1. Hao you are a master of the liquid liner! I could use a few tips, I have a serious case of hand shakes every time I pick up an eyeliner pen! I have the Stila Stay All Day Liner and it is way better than the crappy Rimmel Scandaleyes Microliner thingy I tried. I generally think that the drugstore lacks in this department. That said, I have heard good things about the L'Oreal Slim Liner, though I haven't tried it myself. Great post, I love getting the truth about products :D xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! I've spent years perfecting applying eyeliner. It was the only makeup item I was really into from 7th grade to the end of high school. I used to have a monolid on one eye and a hooded lid on the other too so it was a nightmare trying to get them even. Good thing the monolid miraculously turned into a hooded lid over time for me hahaha I think the drugstore lacks in a good pen style liquid liner too! It's probably my favorite style of liquid eyeliner.


    Thanks for commenting! (:

    ReplyDelete