Makeup Look: Constance Wu & Molly Greenwald for Harper's Bazaar Singapore | #ArtistAppreciation


In the past year or two, I've started to follow a lot more professional makeup artists and their work. With makeup artists on social media like Instagram, their product lists and general advice have become more accessible to me and I love it! I think because of that, I've started to really pay more attention to "professional" work vs. just "Instagram" makeup. No offense to Instagram makeup especially since I also love it, but I don't know how to explain it. There's something about the work and skill of makeup being applied on other people that is awe-inspiring. I can only apply makeup to myself and so I love seeing, reading, and learning about what professional makeup artists do. 

But long story short, I'm starting a new series involving recreating makeup looks that have inspired me.

The first one I'll be showcasing is the makeup look done on Constance Wu for Harper's Bazaar Singapore by Molly Greenwald. I actually didn't realize that some of the makeup products were listed on the magazine's website here. I usually stalk the makeup artist's social media to find out and didn't think about Googling the magazine until after I recreated the look. 

Also going to say right now that I did put a beauty mark on my chin to copy Constance Wu's beauty mark. I also had a lingering acne mark there and so it worked out to accentuate it. 



For this look, I wanted it to focus on three things - glass like healthy / dewy looking skin, red lips, and strong and bold winged liner.

I've seen some BTS / makeup free pictures of Constance Wu and she has amazing and flawless skin. Molly Greenwald used some base products from the Touche Éclat line and they kept that glowy look to Constance's face. It's even kind of convinced me to try out the Touche Éclat foundation. 

As mentioned, I didn't find the product list until later and so I ended up using the following for my face - 
- Bobbi Brown All Over Glow in Sole
- NARS Sheer Glow in Punjab
- Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter in 4
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Veil Translucent Setting Powder, and Vanish Flash Highlighting Stick in Champagne Flash
- Benefit Hoola Cream-to-Powder Quickie Contour Stick
- Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade in Soft Brown for the beauty mark

All of these products (besides the DipBrow Pomade) helped give me a dewy and fresh base. Cream products have been my favorite lately and the contour and highlighter I used were perfect for faking that flawlessly beautiful skin Constance has. Instead of concealer, I mixed a bit of foundation with the Flawless Filter and used that under my eyes/cheeks, forehead, and chin. The Flawless Filter is such a beautiful product and did make it look like my face was filtered.

The Veil Translucent Setting Powder is also a great powder and it helped set my face without taking away the glow. There is a bit of very very fine shimmer the powder and if you didn't like Hourglass' Ambient Lighting Powders like me for setting your face, I would highly recommend this loose powder instead.


Red lips though.

While I would say that the bold eyeliner is the focal point of Constance Wu's cover look, red lips are my favorite and loved how it looked on her. 

For my version, I lined and filled my lips with the Bite Beauty Lip Pencil in 76 and used the Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color in Uncensored. I love Bite Beauty's lip pencils and this shade is gorgeous. I could've only used the lip pencil, but I also really wanted to pull out the Fenty Beauty Sunna Lip Paint to use for this look. Like I said, red lips are my favorite and so more is always more for me!


For the eyes, it was very easy for me to choose what I wanted to use for the eyeliner. The Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in Blacquer is favorite black eyeliner since it's so creamy and long lasting. I can always rely on it on my waterline too. I love this formula so much that I also got the Fineliner Ultra-Skinny Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in the same shade. It's basically just a skinnier version of the Highliner and I usually use this when I want a more precise line on my lids. I could've only use one eyeliner, but I had both and so why not? 

Besides these eyeliners, I also used - 
- Pony Effect Unlimited Cream Shadow in High Standards
- Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Multi-Finish Eyeshadow Palette in Scandalust (That's Why in the crease and used to blend out the lower lash line)
- Melt Cosmetics Gemini Palette (Bonnie focused on the wing and used to smoke out the lower lash line)
- Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Angel Waterproof Mascara in Very Black
- Glossier Boy Brow in Brown

& that's it for this recreation! 

Most of the products I used could easily be duped since they're all pretty standard shades. I had a lot of fun doing it and it seemed like a easy but still fun starter look to this series. I loved how it turned out and it lasted through my crying while I watched Crazy Rich Asians. 

What other looks do you think I should recreate? I already have dozens saved on Instagram, but I would still love to hear what looks you're inspired by!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment