Mascara Madness ft. Glossier, Milk Makeup, Kiss Me Heorine Make, and Lancome


My current Holy Grail mascara is the Maybelline Falsies Push Up Angel Waterproof Mascara, but I'm always interested in trying out a new mascara. I ended up picking up a couple of new mascaras lately since I just finished up a tube of the Maybelline Mascara. Some of them are new to the market, but I also picked up an older mascara since it's pretty popular in the #stubbonstraightlashes community. Hopefully this post will help you either find a new favorite or learn what to avoid!


Glossier Lash Slick | $16 for 8.5 g / 0.29 oz of product

Key Points -
  • Water resistant, not waterproof
  • Lengthening fiber mascara
  • Slightly tapered plastic wand 
  • Only available in black
  • Looks natural and keeps the lashes feeling soft
  • Did not hold my curl


I was originally excited for this mascara, but I still went into it with low expectations since non-waterproof mascaras do not hold my curl. I bought mine right when it launched with some Glossier credit. It wasn't an immediate impulse purchase until I saw some people demonstrating it on Instagram stories and then I started to think that maybe this would be the one non-waterproof mascara that can hold my curl. Wheeeeelp, I was right and it didn't hold my curl. If we ignore that part, it's a really good lengthening but natural looking mascara. The fibers were really small and grabbed onto my lashes so well. I was worried about the fibers getting into my eyes since they're so easily irritated, but they didn't! But speaking of irritated eyes, my eyes have been hurting lately and so I've been extra teary eyed. Even with that, I didn't see the mascara smearing or smudging at all. 

I love plastic mascara wands since they work so well with separation and this wand is no exception. The wand does feel slightly too big for me, but I can still make it work. I personally like and mostly use small wands like the one on the Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Angel Waterproof mascara though and everything is big compared to that wand.  If you're into natural mascaras (or fit/like that ~Glossier aesthetics~) and don't have issues with stubborn straight lashes, this is a good pick! I've mostly been using this mascara on my lower lashes now so I can use it up. Considering it was only water resistant, I was surprised to see how well it held up until I purposely washed it off with makeup remover. With that being said, I also haven't tried that many non-waterproof mascaras in general. I'm fully expecting that you can get the same results for something cheaper. 

Can be purchased through the links below -

Milk Makeup Kush Mascara | $24 for 0.34 oz / 10 mL of product (pictured above is the GWP/mini version)

Key Points - 
  • Only available in black (Shade name is Boom)
  • Voluminous cannabis oil infused formula 
  • "Heart-shaped" fibers 
  • Non-waterproof
  • Standard/traditional bristle wand
  • Did not hold my curl


My first impression of this mascara is that the wand is massive. Unlike the Glossier Lash Slick, I did struggle with the Kush Mascara's wand as it got some of the product on my lids. My lashes did droop immediately after applying this mascara but that's also unsurprising since it's non-waterproof. It does feel like a drier mascara though and so others may have a difference experience than me. It's been years since I've used L'oreal Voluminous Mascara, but it's definitely drier than that. I was wowed by the volume of this mascara though! I personally wouldn't have had purchased a full sized tube of this mascara, but I did immediately jump at the opportunity to try it when it was available as a GWP at Sephora. Instagram stories were also the culprit for this "purchase" as every person I saw using this mascara had the most voluminous beautiful lashes. I also was able to build up so much volume with 2-3 coats before I saw any clumping. I don't actually notice any fibers when I apply this mascara and so I don't know if the "heart-shaped" fiber claims are a gimmick or not. I feel like if they made a waterproof version with a slightly smaller or at least flatter wand, I would be really into this mascara. I'm changing a lot, but I do see potential in the formula.

Can be purchased through the links below - 

Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara Advanced Film 01 Black | $14 - $25 depending on the retailer for 6 grams of product

Key Points
  • Waterproof (some say the ultimate waterproof mascara)
  • Holds my curl
  • Voluminous fiber mascara
  • Spoon/curved traditional bristle wand
  • May be hard to find since it's a Japanese mascara

There's so many variations of mascara from Kiss Me Heroine Make and I'm not exactly sure if I got the right one. There's some Japanese stores near me that stock their mascara and while I got this version for $24, there were some others that started at $16 but I honestly could not tell the difference since most of the packaging was in Japanese. When I first wore this mascara, it felt both dry and wet with the fibers not really sticking to the formula. After a few uses, I can see why people love this mascara especially if they struggle with stubborn straight lashes like me. My curl looked extra perky with this mascara and it stayed like that all day long. While I did see some clumping, my lashes obviously look more voluminous and the fibers also helped with some length. I don't know what happened, but the fibers started to really mix in with the mascara with each use and so they didn't feel as loose anymore. Considering I get similar results with US drugstore mascaras that are easier to find, I'm not going to be repurchasing this version again. I think the fibers make my lashes feel sticky as well since every time I wear this mascara, I feel a slight tug on my upper lashes especially in the corners since they're sticking to my bottom lashes.

Can be purchased through Amazon and stores that stock Japanese beauty products.


Lancome Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara | $25 for 0.33 ounces / 9.75 mL of product (pictured above is the travel version)

Key Points
  • Waterproof
  • Holds my curl
  • Traditional bristle wand with uniform bristle length down the wand
  • Supposed to have a "soft & creamy" formula to give 12 times the volume


I've heard so many great things about the original Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara, but I wasn't tempted to get it until the waterproof version came out. As you can see just from this post, anything non-waterproof (even water resistant) will not hold my curl. While I saw more volume and an illusion of a thicker lash line, I saw lots of clumping. If you look at the wand, the bristles are spaced further apart than the other mascara wands mentioned in this post and so I didn't get definition. The bristles are shorter compared to the Milk Makeup Kush Mascara and so product didn't get on my lids as easily, but there were some specks if I'm not careful. True to the claims, I didn't see flaking or smudging and it only came off with my cleansing balm. My curl also stayed perky all day and so that was nice. I was slightly worried that I would fall in love with this mascara like other people did, but it's an easy pass for me. 

The full sized version can be purchased through the links below -


L to R - 
Glossier Lash Slick
Milk Makeup Kush Mascara
Lancome Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara
Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara Advanced Film

Even after trying out all of these mascaras, I'm still going to stick with my HG mentioned at the very beginning of this post. I loved the Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara, but not enough to keep paying that high price tag. I would like to see a waterproof version of both the Glossier Lash Slick and Milk Makeup Kush Mascara since I see potential in both but it doesn't really matter to me if it doesn't hold my curl. For the Lancome Moniseur Big Waterproof Mascara, it's an easy pass. The formula isn't too special to me and the wand makes my lashes look clumpy.

& that's it! Have you tried any of these mascaras? What's your favorite mascara?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment