Review & Swatches: Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipsticks in Secret Selma and Super Cindy


Charlotte Tilbury has released more lipsticks for her Hot Lips collection and it includes a combination of the amazing Matte Revolution and K.I.S.S.I.N.G. formulas. There's 12 new shades, but the whole collection includes some existing shades as well (like Very Victoria). $2 of any sale from the Hot Lips collection for the first two months will go to support women survivors of war, poverty, and injustice. The two shades I got were Secret Selma and Super Cindy and each shade retails for $32 and contains 0.12 ounces of product.


The Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Secret Selma is described as a "deep-rose plum" and that's such a perfect description of it. I like plummy colors but a lot of them look too "night time" for me. That is just a personal thing, but Secret Selma is one of the few purpley/plummy shades that I feel comfortable wearing anytime.


I forgot to take a picture before using it because of the beautiful color!


You can tell that it's a plum shade, but it does lean more rose. Like the two other Matte Revolution lipsticks I currently have, Secret Selma feels so smooth on my lips and it lipstick did not tug or drag onto my lips. It does have more of a sheen than the other two, but it's still a soft matte appearance and I wouldn't call it glossy.

Secret Selma faded incredibly well throughout the day and so I didn't care about reapplication since it always looked nice. It did transfer onto straws and cups, but it didn't travel to other parts of my face. 



The Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Super Cindy is described as a "taupey nude" but I do see a lot of peach to it. I'm not actually a nude lip kind of person (but I'm getting there!) but the promo pictures for this shade looked amazing. 




Unfortunately for me, Super Cindy did not look as good on me compared to the promo pictures. I was debating between Super Cindy and Very Victoria. I ended up choosing Super Cindy because it looked darker and more wearable on my skin tone, but it still looks too light for my preference. Again, I'm saying preference because this lighter nude might be someone else's jam. 


& here's another full face shot with Super Cindy! Got a ring light and was testing it out.

I feel like this shade would look so much better on someone that is fairer in skin tone than I am. I'll probably keep this lipstick, but might only use it to lighten darker lipsticks. 

I also had a problem with the texture of this particular color. The Matte Revolution lipsticks I've tried have thinner textures than other matte lipsticks I've tried and I love it. They feel light on my lips and the texture in generally also helps with reapplication. I think the texture of Super Cindy and the lighter color did not mesh well with my dry lips and it emphasized every flake and dry spot possible. Secret Selma looked perfect on my lips and so I don't get why Super Cindy looked unflattering. 

To make it look better, I would exfoliate my lips right before application and kind of really press the product into my lips and smooth out the color with my fingers. I'm hoping that it's a fluke because I've read about other people loving their Super Cindy but that didn't happen with me. 


Secret Selma // Super Cindy

Final thoughts: I really hope my Super Cindy is a fluke because I did not like the texture at all. The color is a personal preference, but I can't deal with an expensive lipstick making my lips look worse. Secret Selma performed like the two other Matte Revolution Lipsticks I currently own though (Bond Girl and Glastonberry) and I'm pretty happy about that. I have dark purples that I love, but Secret Selma is a softer more day time appropriate shade I'm super excited to wear more often especially with fall coming up soon. 

Have you tried the Matte Revolution lipsticks? Did you get anything from the Hot Lips collection?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment