Review: Lancome Cils Booster XL Super Enhancing Mascara Base vs. Dior Diorshow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum


I've already written two full and seperate reviews for Lancome's Cils Booster XL Super Enhancing Mascara base here and for Dior's Diorshow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum here, but I wanted to write up another post to compare them. I slightly touched on the comparison in the Dior post, but I wanted to be more comprehensive. 



Packaging & Applicator: 
Lancome - I recently ran out of the full size of Lancome's lash primer, but I still have a deluxe sample size as backup. The packaging for the full size is very similar to the deluxe sample size, except that the tube is longer. It's very simple with its black and white coloring and thin. The wand is a class brush wand.
Dior- The tube is thicker and has a design is the brand's name in a grey color all over the packaging. Like with Lancome, it's plastic but also very sturdy. The applicator is plastic and has a very very slight spiral 
Winner: I like both of the packaging and I don't have a preference for the applicator since I layer another mascara on it anyway. The Dior want seems to separate better since it is plastic though while Lancome's brush seems to deposit more product on the lashes. 

Product Amount & Cost:
LancomeIt contains 0.17 fl. oz. / 5 ml. of product and retails for $24.50. The dollar per ounce price is 144.12.
Dior - It contains 0.33 fl. oz / 10 mL and retails for $28.50. The dollar per ounce price is $86.36.
Winner: Now that that I've calculated the dollar per ounce price, the Dior primer looks like the better option in the long run. Since both are more expensive than I would normally pay for a lash product, I use it a lot longer than the recommended life span of the product. If you have sensitive eyes and throw out lash products after 3 months, I would choose the Lancome primer since it'll save you more money in the short term. Dior has a more wet and cleaner application and so it doesn't get as dry as fast as the Lancome one. 
I also want to point out that Lancome tends to have a lot of gift with purchase events and so those are the best times to stock up on their lash primer since you'll be getting so many great things along with it. They also have a new point system on their website that works for any retailer that sells their products that lets you get free products after a certain amount of points. Dior does win in this certain category for me, but the amount of extra stuff Lancome does is more appealing to me since I do want to get the most bang for my buck.



Product Comparison:
I am using Maybelline Volum' Express The Rocket Waterproof Mascara as the "base" and "topper."
Lancome- Lancome boasts that this product will give you fuller and thicker lashes and it really does deliver. The mascara really grabs onto the product and helps them look more voluminous. 
Dior: Their primer is not only supposed to give the lashes volume, but also length. There is also supposed to be a lot of other good things added into the formula to help the lashes grow and be stronger. My lashes don't seem healthier or growing better/faster and so I can't test that last claim, but it does give me volume. The length is about the same too. Like I mentioned before, the product is a serum mascara base and so it's thinner and the lashes look cleaner. It doesn't give as much volume as compared to the Lancome primer, but you can keep layering it on.
Winner: This portion really depends on your individual lashes and what you're looking for. I think I'm okay with length and so I'm only looking for a more voluminous product. The Lancome lash primer takes less effort for the better results and so it just barely beats the Dior lash primer. 

Overall Winner: The Dior lash primer wins out for me. Surprisingly, I was expecting the Lancome lash primer to win. The thing that really pushed the Dior product more was the overall price in the long run. It does cost more in a single purchase, but I plan on buying lash primers for a long time since I don't like wearing false lashes. If I do count in all the freebies that a part of Lancome, it would win, but I'm counting them as singular products. There's also something really luxe about having a Dior product in my makeup collection and on my table while doing my makeup. 

Although this is a comparison post, both products are amazing to really help boost your lashes and mascara. 

Which product would you choose and what's your favorite mascara?
I think I've found my holy grail mascara (The Rocket Waterproof version!) but I love trying out different mascaras. 

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment